Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My Favorite Burton

After waiting a while, I finally got to see Tim Burtons Alice In Wonderland this weekend. I was not happy at all with what I saw. It lacked Burton touch and feel, and just simply bored me. Johnny Depp could not save it, and Anne Hathaway just annoyed the hell out of me, I really don't see why everyone thinks she's so pretty, playing the white princess I guess. She was way over the top and just annoying. So I decided today to put down my 7 favorite Tim Burton films in order of most to least favorite. I have yet to see Big Fish or Sweeney Todd, so they may be on here one day.


1. "Ed Wood" (1994) I love everything about this film. It's not your typical Tim Burton film, from the set, to the style, to great script. It reminds me a lot of the Hollywood era from the 30s to 50s. And unlike most of Burtons movies, keeps the story flowing.
2. "Beetlejuice" (1988) One of the funniest movies of the 80's and a great comedic effort by Michael Keaton. Has a legendary dinner scene, who else thinks of this movie whenever they hear Day-O?, and features Keaton ad libbing throughout most of the movie.

3. "Batman Returns" (1992) I know most people rank his first "Batman" higher then this one, but like Burton, I felt the first one got boring at times. This is one of the best examples of Burtons unique style and also features him making a statement about how he feels being in hollywood. Not to mention the great chemistry between Batman and Catwoman, that was far better then Vicki Vale.

4. "Sleepy Hollow" (1999) Excellent adaption from the book, with great effects, story, set and a very funny and charming Johnny Depp.

5. "Batman" (1989) Keaton=awesome Nicholson=awesome add those up together, and you have the first great superhero movie. (sorry Superman) Yes it can get really slow sometimes, but Nicholson was way over the top and it worked.Not to mention the great line "Ever dance with the devil in the pail moonlight?"

6. "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" (1983) I know, I know, Pee Wee? Burtons first full length feature film. Burton was right for Pee Wee and Pee Wee was right for him. Together they made a very funny very underrated comedy and made the song "Tequila" popular again, how awesome is that?

7. "Mars Attacks" (1996) This is one funny, funny movie. I've never seen Burton do something this funny and he never takes it serious. It's like he just told a whole bunch of big time stars to go out there and have fun and I'm gonna record it all. The aliens kill all the big stars but one, and the heroes are the nobodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment